Township of James/Elk Lake
The Museum is now Closed for the Season
In 1909 Father Russel established the Church building and Rectory. The ground for the Church as obtained from John Edwin Cook in the form of a gift and was registered on June 12, 1909. It was a 2 story building with the Church on the main floor and the school on the second floor. In 1911 a new school was built. The Church remained operating until 1978 when the residents of Elk Lake decided a museum should be established to hold precious artifacts. The building the houses the Museum was first used as the Roman Catholic Church and Separate School.
The Elk Lake Heritage Center is open the months of July/August.